P2324 code definition
Ignition Coil I Primary Control Circuit Low
What the P2324 code means
P2324 is an OBD-II generic code for the Ignition Coil I Primary Control Circuit Low to the Engine Control Module (ECM). This means the primary coil circuit has an open circuit causing the low signal to the ECM.
What causes the P2324 code?
- The ECM does not get a correct signal return on the primary circuit of the coil
- The coil could have an open circuit internally in the primary circuit
- The wiring or connection to the coil may have a broken connection or wire is cut
What are the symptoms of the P2324 code?
- Check Engine Light illumination and the code set in ECM memory as a fault
- The engine fault may be the P2324 and also a misfire code to the cylinder
- The engine will run rough and hesitate
How does a mechanic diagnose the P2324 code?
Scans codes and documents the code in the ECM
Diagnoses as per the manufacturer's pinpoint test to check the primary circuit of the coil
Clears code P2324 from the ECM and verifies whether the code comes back
Tests the coil primary internal circuit for continuity
Tests and checks the primary coil connector and wiring for continuity
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P2324 code
- Clearing ECM memory codes before checking the freeze frame data of the failure
- Failing to clear ECM codes after the P2324 codes are fixed
- Replacing the defective coil without checking or replacing the spark plugs
How serious is the P2324 code?
Code P2324 is an indication that the coil primary circuit has failed and the coil is not firing any more. This will cause the engine to misfire on the cylinder with the defective coil.
What repairs can fix the P2324 code?
- Replacing the coil
- Repairing the wiring or connection to the coil assembly.
- Replacing the ECM for a bad internal primary circuit failure.
Additional comments for consideration regarding the P2324 code
Code P2324 is common with vehicles that have more than an 8 cylinder motor and with coils on each cylinder. The primary circuit is what powers and fires the coil.
Need help with a P2324 code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.