P2107 code definition
Throttle Actuator Control Module Processor
What the P2107 code means
P2107 is a general OBD2 trouble code pointing to a malfunction within the throttle control module processor; the throttle actuator motor fails to operate and this is detected by the Engine Control Unit (ECU). Once the fault is detected, the ECU sets a Check Engine Light, which is displayed on the dashboard. The ECU will also set a failsafe mode to protect the vehicle. The Check Engine Light and failsafe mode will remain until the code is repaired or cleared. This may be seen with other throttle body codes.
What causes the P2107 code?
The most likely causes of the P2107 code are:
- Throttle body harness has an open or short in the wiring
- Faulty throttle position sensor
- Electrical connection that is poor
- Throttle body has failed
What are the symptoms of the P2107 code?
The symptoms can vary greatly with the P2107 code. In rare cases, the Check Engine Light will be the only symptom. In others, the vehicle may run poorly, stall while running, lack or have no engine power, and the vehicle may not start at all.
How does a mechanic diagnose the P2107 code?
- Hooks up a scan tool to the vehicle data link connector (DLC) port
- Notes any codes stored in the vehicle’s ECU including history and pending codes
- Looks at the freeze frame data for every code and notes the conditions found within
- Clears all codes for a clean slate
- Takes the vehicle on a test drive with similar circumstances as the freeze frame data listed (as long as it is safe to drive the vehicle)
- Performs a visual inspection once returning from the test drive (looks for any damaged or worn wiring or obviously damaged components)
- Uses the scan tool to check the throttle position and verify that it changes when the gas pedal is depressed.
- Uses a multimeter to check for proper voltage at the throttle body actuator
- Removes the intake air tube and inspects the throttle body plate to ensure it is free to move
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P2107 code
Commonly, mistakes can be made, even by the best technicians, if they fail to adhere to the step by step diagnostic process or skip steps completely. A mistake that is also made frequently is replacing the throttle body when the throttle position sensor has failed. Failure to follow these steps can lead to replacement of good components and wasting time and money.
How serious is the P2107 code?
The P2107 code can have some symptoms that prevent it from driving or running at all. In some cases, the vehicle may only experience engine running poorly and the Check Engine Light present.
What repairs can fix the P2107 code?
- Repairing or replacing throttle body actuator wiring harness
- Replacing throttle body
- Fixing poor electrical connection
- Replacing throttle position sensor
Additional comments for consideration regarding the P2107 code
An advanced level scan tool will be required to diagnose the P2017 code. These scan tools allow us to access the ECU’s live data stream. This tells technicians live data such as voltage, sensor data, ohms, and various readings. In addition, this information can be watched for looking for changes over time.
Need help with a P2107 code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.