Q: Do I need a new alternator?

My check engine light came on, I had it scanned. It was the cam shaft position sensor. I kept driving without replacing it. Then the battery light and the emergency brake light came on several days later along with the check engine light (still on from cam shaft position sensor). Then all electronics slowly faded out while driving and the transmission started slipping or jerking. Then the car died. Do I need to buy a new alternator or could it just be caused by the cam shaft position sensor failing? Thanks in advance for your help.

I would recommend having your alternator tested for proper function with a digital multimeter by a qualified technician. This test will determine if the alternator is charging the battery at the proper levels. If the alternator is not charging the battery sufficiently, I would recommend having it replaced. As for the camshaft position sensor, I would recommend having this replaced as well due to the fact that it has already been diagnosed to be faulty. If you need a reliable service to complete these repairs for you, YourMechanic can come to your home or office to definitively diagnose these issues.

3. Do I need a new alternator?