Car overheating and squealing. overheating squealing nois...

Q: Car overheating and squealing.

My car is overheating and making a squealing noise.

Overheating can be caused by a number of things. Usually when you start noticing the temperature go up it is because there is not enough coolant in the system to cool the engine down. As the temperature goes up, much like boiling water in a pot, it tends to rise and come out of the overflow bottle. If the bottle is close to the belt, it will fall on the belt and saturate it. Coolant is slightly oily so that it lubricates seals in the system. Once this oily coolant falls on the belt it will cause it to slip on the pulleys, which in turn makes that noise. Determining the cause of overheating is usually done via a visual inspection. A technician might use a pressure tester to check for leaks. Inspecting the fans and proper thermostat operation is also something that I recommend be done by a technician.