Q: I'm replacing my gas cap with a regular black one though I drive an e85 flexfuel that's got a yellow cap, is that ok?

asked by on July 25, 2017

Replacing my gas cap and I bought a black one not a yellow e85/flexfuel one. Will that be ok or is something special about the yellow one?

Gas caps are no longer mundane, low tech devices. The only replacement gas cap that a knowledgeable, professional mechanic will recommend is an OEM cap, supplied by the dealer, and matched to your vehicle VIN number. Any other cap, including all aftermarket caps, are absolutely not recommended and have been proven to cause problems. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.