Q: How can I check to see if my transmission is staying cool

When my van gets up to about 55 mph. the rmps seem to run high. When the weather is cooler the van shifts good, seems like in the last of the shifting of the transmission it feels like it boggs down some when its warm weather. How can I tell or any suggestions

Shift speeds (specified at RPM or vehicle speeds) are specified in the Factory Service Manual so it is possible to determine if your operation is normal or not. You can determine fluid temperature by using an infrared thermometer. Anytime you are having difficulty shifting you should check the fluid level and condition. If the fluid has been in the vehicle for 100,000 miles or more, it’s a good idea to change it as well as the filter. If you desire that service, please request transmission fluid service. Delayed shifts can be due to transmission faults in shift solenoids, the valve body, or other hydraulically actuated and controlled components. If you want a shift diagnostic, performed by a certified Mechanic dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a difficulty in shifting diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. How can I check to see if my transmission is staying cool