Q: Nissan won't start once warmed up

asked by on April 30, 2017

Okay. Van starts up, I'll let it run for a little while (10-15mins) and I'll shut it off and it won't start. It'll turn over but doesn't actually start. No engine light on. ( it was on but we "fixed" the issues it needed). Van has new starter, battery, new o2 sensor, new mass air flow sensor. And it has been topped of with coolant. If I let the car sit for maybe 5-10 mins after I shut it off it starts right back up. I don't know what else to do or check for. EDIT: I just took the car for a test drive after driving 8 miles the car made like a rattling noise when I accelerated the more I pushed the pedal the louder it got, as I turned into my driveway my car shut off and won't start. I'll try to start it in a few mins when it cools down. (It didn't over heat and there is plenty of oil)

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like you may have a clogged catalytic converter. The catalytic converter converts toxic exhaust gases into less harmful pollutants that are suitable to be expelled into the atmosphere. When the catalytic converter is clogged, this causes these gases to be backed up into the exhaust system not allowing the engine to breathe properly. When this happens, the engine is forced to work much harder to expel these gases. This often results in the engine bogging down, hesitating, shaking and causing very poor fuel economy. This should also cause a check engine light to come on as the O2 sensors should be reading the incorrect amounts of oxygen in the exhaust gases if this is your problem. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your catalytic converter.