Q: High RPM's when slowing down or coming to a stop

asked by on February 14, 2018

I have a 2009 Chevy traverse LS with 110K miles.This is happened 4-5 times.. when I am driving my traverse either at a stop or trying to slow down my RPM will go way high. I push on the brake and it is like my car is fighting the brake and trying to go fast. i will pull of the side of the road and turn it off that sometimes helps other times when I start up I press on the gas and brings down the RPM. I went to a mechanic and he said it is a computer chip that works with the transmission for shifting. The part was $800 and labor was $700. they replaced the apart and a week later and it happened again. Any idea??

Throttle Position Sensor Replacement $129.21 - $646.10 Get a Quote

This is a common issue with a failing throttle position sensor in that it tends to reset itself when shutting the vehicle off, which is why you may notice it goes away when shutting the car down and restarting it. The throttle position sensor monitors the throttle position of the throttle plate inside the throttle body in relation to your foot position on the gas pedal. Based upon the inputs from the sensor reading your foot’s position on the pedal, the ECU then makes the direction to supply more or less fuel to the motor. When this sensor is not working properly, this can cause intermittent responses when pressing the gas pedal.

There are trouble codes that are typically associated with the TPS. One code will set if the TPS voltage is too high when the computer expects to see it lower. Another code will set if the TPS voltage is lower than the computer expects to see. The TPS code for low voltage is the most common and will usually set if the TPS is out of adjustment or the sensor has failed. The first thing you should do when you get a TPS code is to check adjustment and signal output of the TP sensor before replacing it. Be sure to wiggle all connections while watching scan data/voltage readout to make sure the problem is not a loose or bad connection.

There are circumstances that could occur with a failing throttle position sensor that may not set a trouble code. One of the most common symptoms of a failing TPS would be a tip-in hesitation or stumble when you apply throttle to take off from a stop. This can be caused by a dead spot in the TP sensor’s internal circuitry, which usually causes the output voltage signal to not change (or it drops out) when the throttle opens. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.