Q: How do the rod bearings stay in place?

asked by on November 08, 2016

Ok so i got a knock recently and i opened up the oil pan took off the balance shafts and noticed quite a bit of looseness. I took off the caps and noticed the bearings are thin. I bought all new bearings i plan to replace the bearings put thicker oil and assembly lube take it and sell it immediately after i patch this issue. My question is on this cars bearing i see no indentations that hold them in place. How do the bearings stay in place and not move? Thanx.

All the engine main and rod bearings along with the balance shaft bearings will have a small index on one end of the bearing. You should see a slot for the new bearing to line up and go in only one direction. The old bearing may have spun and could have knocked off this notch on the bearing. If this is the case then the bearing surface is most likely damaged and may need additional repair parts. If you run into any issues, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your location to service your vehicle. Best of luck.