Q: High idling, 8800 RPM

I've recently bought a previously owned Benz C280, and I am generally satisfied with the vehicle. The only thing is the idle speed, which is pretty high. The tachometer often reads over 8800 RPM. I am wondering if it could waste a lot of gas during idling at traffic lights and such, as I usually drive around the town with a lot of stop and go traffic. Is this usual or do I need to check anything on the car? Thanks.

Hello there, 8800 is a very high idle. Most vehicles max out at between 6000-7000 RPM. If the vehicle idles at 800 RPM, then this would be considered normal in most cases, unless the idle fluctuates unusually. If the AC is on, the car will idle higher than normal as well. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to inspect your engine’s high idle to see if any fault is present.