Q: My car struggles when put into gear.

asked by on March 02, 2017

Not to long ago, I went out and started my car, put it in reverse, and nothing happened. It turns out that for some reason when the car is in park it revs fine, but in drive and reverse, the car has trouble and Boggs down. The car won't go on engine power, but it moves in neutral. It has a cvt transmission also. When I change gears the transmission makes a click sound like it's going into gear, and there is no check engine light.

Hi there. When you have problems with trying to shift the transmission into gear it is usually caused by a shift solenoid failure on CVT transmissions like your Altima has. However, it could also be a problem with internal transmission components or an obstruction of debris inside the transmission hydraulic lines. It is probably a good idea to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to shift inspection; which should allow them to determine what is causing this issue.