Q: Hi my steering light is on but I know that my battery is not functioning properly. Can the malfunction battery affect the steering

asked by on October 12, 2016

Can the steering light be on because of the malfunctioning battery? Thank you!

Hello. If there is a voltage issue going on within the vehicle, then that can affect the function of the power steering. I would usually start by making sure that the engine drive belt is intact and tight. If it is then the battery and alternator should be load tested and the connections at the battery cables should be checked. All of these areas can cause a steering issue. If those are fine, then the steering gear may be failing. If you need to have this steering malfunction looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the steering light and have this repaired.