Q: Hi! I turned the ignition on on/run. my car ran reversely from drive way to the street. I can't stop it until I pulled the break.

Hi, thank you for taking my question. During Harvey on a heavy raining night, I tried to move my car into garage from drive way. I accidently turned the ignition on on/run but I didn't realize it. Then I switched the gear to Drive mode and stepped on the accelerator trying to drive my car into the garage. However, my car started to run reversely from drive way to the street. I tried to stop it by stepping on break, it didnot work. I tried to put the gear on the reverse mode, it didn't work. The car just ran all the way reversely from the drive way to the street. The car kept going on reversely on the street, so I tried to stop it and stepped on the break again, the break gave out a loud noise like something was scratching hardly. Thank god the car stopped when I pulled up the parking break. Later I turned the ignition off and restarted it on START and drove my car into my garage...it is very scary and confusing. Can you pls help me diagnose the accident? Thank you very much!

Hi Bluesky. Thanks for contacting us today. This is a very odd series of symptoms, but most likely due to the excessive water and standing water during a hurricane. The excessive water often plays havoc on electrical connections and sensors, including the shift solenoid and sensors that relay data from shifter to the transmission. This is likely the source of this issue. Sometimes these problems will go away when things dry up while in other instances, the root issue will need to be diagnosed and replaced.

3. Hi! I turned the ignition on on/run. my car ran reversely from drive way to the street. I can't stop it until I pulled the break.