Q: hey jose ,my name is larry , i took my car to the mechinc they the check engine light was on ,its the upstream bank 2 sensor ,do i

my upstream bank 2 sensor needs to be replaced ,that's what the computer says ,but what I want to know is, do we need to replace both ,even if just the upper shows on the computer

Diagnostic Trouble Codes cannot be used to "directly" condemn parts. In the case of an oxygen sensor, the oxygen sensor output has to be evaluated on a scope to determine if the sensor itself is bad OR if you perhaps have a situation where there is loose wire or other fault in the circuit (or even a fault in another engine system). If the Mechanic did not evaluate the sensor output on an automotive scope, he or she is just guessing that the sensor needs to be replaced. If guessing, of course they may guess right or they may guess wrong. If the diagnostic was done, and the sensor is out of spec. then it should be replaced. As far as the other sensor is concerned, the exact same technical instructions apply. If the output of the other sensor was tested and it tests bad, replace it. If it tests good, keep it. If it was not tested, then you have no information upon which to make a decision. Before you do anything, ask the Mechanic, "did you look at the sensor output on a appropriate automotive scope and, if so, what was the result of that exam?". Alternatively, if you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a check engine light diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

• hey jose ,my name is larry , i took my car to the mechinc they the check engine light was on ,its the upstream bank 2 sensor ,do i