P2407 code definition
Evap leak detection pump sense circuit intermittent/erratic
What the P2407 code means
This trouble code indicates that the powertrain control module has detected a malfunction with the leak sensing portion of the emissions control system.
What are the causes of the P2407 code?
Some potential causes of this trouble code include:
- The leak detection pump/solenoid may be malfunctioning
- A faulty purge valve may be present
- A clogged or damaged charcoal canister
- Wiring or connectors associated with the emissions control system could be damaged
- The gas cap could be installed improperly
- A crack in a fuel or vacuum line could be present
- The fuel pressure sensor may be malfunctioning
- The powertrain control module may not be performing properly
What are the symptoms of the P2407 code?
Symptoms of this trouble code that the driver may experience would include: * A Check Engine Light
How does a mechanic diagnose the P2407 code?
A mechanic may begin diagnosing this trouble code by first checking the gas cap and performing a visual inspection of the emissions system. This includes checking wiring, connectors, and vacuum lines to make sure they are all intact. Next the mechanic would test the leak detection pump and the purge valve using the manufacturer’s recommended procedure. Afterwards, the mechanic would check the fuel pressure sensor to ensure that it is functioning properly.
If the cause of this issue has not been located after all of these tests have been performed, it is possible that the powertrain control module could be the issue. The mechanic would test the powertrain control module using a high tech scan tool. After all tests have been performed, the mechanic would relay his/her findings over to the customer to make an informed repair decision.
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P2407 code
A common mistake that could be made when diagnosing this trouble code is replacing the evap leak detection pump without properly testing it. The manufacturer releases diagnostic procedures that should always be followed when diagnosing a check engine light. These procedures will let you know what to do and what not to do.
How serious is the P2407 code?
This trouble code is not very serious because the only symptom that will happen from this code is a stored check engine light. However, it is always best to have a check engine light diagnosed and repaired as soon as possible.
What repairs can fix the P2407 code?
Repairs that can potentially fix this trouble code would include:
- Replacing the evap leak detection pump
- Replacing the purge valve
- Replacing the charcoal canister
- Repairing a fuel or vacuum leak
- Replacing the fuel pressure sensor
- Tightening the gas cap
- Repairing or replacing wiring or connectors that are associated with the emissions control system
- Replacing the powertrain control module
Additional comments regarding the P2407 code
It is a good idea to run a complete fuel system cleaning through your engine from time to time. This well help remove any carbon deposits that may have built up in the fuel and emissions control system. Keeping these lines clear will help to prevent trouble codes such as this one.
Need help with a P2407 code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.