Q: Hello, I drive a 2005 Chevy Cavalier. I put the car into reverse leaving my home. I attempted to put into drive and it was stuck i

asked by on July 28, 2017

Hello, i was backing out of my driveway in reverse, when I attempted to put the car in drive it wouldn't switch and remained in park. As a tried to switch between park, drive and reverse the shifter seemed to slide through the settings, it felt very loose. I switched the car off and it will not restart. I tired to restart the car about an hour latter and no luck. I'm thinking the transmission is toast. Thanks for any help and insight into the matter.

The transmission shift cable or linkage may have failed. The reason you can’t restart is if that cable failed you might be stuck in a position where the neutral start (safety) switch is in a position that prevents starter operation. So, there may be nothing wrong with the transmission at all. I highly recommend you schedule an inspection of the shift linkage. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.