Q: Headlights, lights, brakes, steering go out & car won't start

While driving home, the headlights on my car slowly went out. Also, the anti lock brakes, power steering, and all the lights went out. At this point my car would not start. After replacing the battery, the horn wouldn’t work and a light continued to come on. The dealership reset the computer and now… the day running lights don't work when I start the car. They only come on after I've put the car in Drive. Plus, the airbag sensor is out. Could you please give me a diagnosis and what needs to be done to fix my car. Thanks.

A: Hello there, thanks for writing in about yo...

Hello there, thanks for writing in about your 1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass. With this type of fault, many different components could potentially be the cause. The most common would be the battery, alternator, ignition switch, a wiring short, or a failing wiring harness. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your vehicle's loss of power and perform any repairs required.