Q: Hazard lights stay on when car is turned off.

One night, I came home from work and turned my car off. The next morning I tried starting my car and realized the car battery was dead so I needed a jump. Soon i realized, the turn signals/ hazard lights stay on solid, no blinking after i shut the car off. My tail lights stay on as well. I have to keep unplugging my battery in order for it not to die. Any reasons on why this is happening?

Hi There, Generally this is something caused by the flasher relay going bad. This is a small relay that allows the lights to flash based upon current flow and a resistor inside that causes them to flash. When this is faulty, this will cause them to flash very slow, very fast or in some cases stay solid as you have described. The lights staying on after the car has been shut off suggests you may have a corrosion issue in one of the sockets or potentially a shorted out turn signal switch assembly, which is known to cause this to happen on many cars. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Hazard lights stay on when car is turned off.