Q: Having problems with my air conditioner putting out different temperatures from different vents

The air conditioning on my car started having problems last week. My passenger noticed that the vents in front of him were putting out hot air, but the rest of the vents were putting out colder air (though not as cold as it used to be). The floor vents had the coldest air. Also, during the wintertime, the defrost doesn't work very well on my windshield. How do I fix this?

Hello. Typically when you experience only one side of the system doing this, it is because of a bad air door actuator motor. These are common failures on most cars. If I knew what kind of vehicle this was, I could give you more precise information. When I come across a problem like this, I remove the actuator and see if it is working when the temperature on the dash is adjusted. If it is not, then I replace it. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your air conditioning.

• Having problems with my air conditioner putting out different temperatures from different vents