Q: Having problems with battery and 12V socket

I was programming the Homelink in my car and I had the car turned on with the AC running, and the HID's were on. While I was doing that, the car was on for 4 or 5 minutes, and then the AC turned off, and then the dashboard and center stack screen turned off. I thought maybe the battery was draining, so I tried to start the car, which didn't work. I tried turning it off, and it was stuck in the on position (even after inserting the key in the socket). So then I tried turning the lights off and they wouldn't turn off. The only thing that did turn off automatically was the HID's. I had to jump start the car. Also, the center 12V (behind the cup holders) isn't working anymore, and it hasn't worked for couple months. How can I fix this?

I would recommend having your battery checked. Lots of weird things can happen when batteries and alternators start failing. The battery test will check for proper voltage or charge of the battery as well as a check for the proper amount of cold cranking amps. If the battery does not produce a sufficient amount of cold cranking amps, the starter will not engage. This battery test should be performed by a qualified technician since it relates to the electrical system of the vehicle.

As far as your power outlet is concerned, I would recommend checking the fuse box for any fuses that may be blown. A fuse box diagram is usually included in your owner’s manual and if the owner’s manual is not available it is online.

3. Having problems with battery and 12V socket