Q: Having intermittent problems with cruise control on my car

I am having problems with the cruise control on my car. When I try to engage it, the cruise control indication with stay on for a minute, and then it goes away. While that is happening, the cruise control on/off doesn't work or respond. After the minute is up, the indication goes off and then the cruise control will work. This happens about 25% of the time that I try to use cruise control. Any idea what could be causing this?

Hello. This can be caused by a number of different issues. Most of the time this is caused by a bad brake switch. If the switch is shorting out, then it will cause the computer to think that the brakes are being applied, which turns off the cruise control. If the switch is fine, then it may have a bad speed sensor or the cruise control switch itself is bad.

One of the easiest tests I do is simply have someone drive behind me and see if the brake lights are coming on without touching the pedal. If it is, then you should replace the switch. If not, then further testing of the circuit has to be done. If you need to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your cruise control problem.

3. Having intermittent problems with cruise control on my car