Q: Will not accelerate beyond 65 mph

The car will not accelerate beyond 65/70 mph even with the accelerator all the way down. We've asked around thinking it might be the fuel filter but are being told these cars don't have a serviceable fuel filter...that you can't replace it? Do you know what could be causing this issue?

A: All vehicles have serviceable fuel filters,...

All vehicles have serviceable fuel filters, in fact your vehicle has 4 or more such filters. That is, EACH fuel injector has its own miniature filter basket so there are 4 potentially pluggable filters right there. There are some obvious potential causes of the symptom you are describing and a professional mechanic should be able to home in on the issue fast. The possibilities include: the catalytic converter could be obstructed due to the honeycomb inside failing; mass air flow sensor could be faulty, a faulty fuel pump, blocked strainer, malfunctioning injectors, incorrect basic ignition timing and/or advance, timing belt slipped, and so forth. Each of these possibilities have to be looked at in turn, but typically a decision tree applicable to your model is used to prioritize what to look at, as some failures are known to be more frequent than others. If you need to have this taken care of a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the acceleration problem and guide you through repairs.