Q: Having an issue when filling the gas tank

asked by on November 02, 2015

My 2006 Ford Mustang (57k miles) has an issue whenever I try to fill the gas tank up all the way. Whatever it is that makes the pump stop filling when it is full stops it too soon. It also stops abruptly, causing gas to spill out more than once. This is an accident waiting to happen, how can I fix this? It’s not a problem around town, but it is super inconvenient on longer trips.

Hello, you mentioned that your Mustang is a 2006, it is important to confirm this. Ford is aware of this condition and released Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 07-21-12 (which supersedes TSB 06-3-13 and TSB 05-4-8) to address the issue. As of 4/26/2005, they should have already installed the redesigned gas tanks that would prevent the fuel filler nozzle from prematurely triggering the automatic shut off built into all gas tanks.

The redesigned gas tank has a revised internal venting system to improve fuel filling and correcting the automatic shut off trigger. If you already have the redesigned gas tank on your 2006 Mustang they do not have a fix except to angle the gas pump nozzle and fill up slowly. It is noted that some filling station pumps could be delivering the fuel too quickly triggering the automatic shut off, which is normal.

This has not been turned into a Recall so Ford will only cover this repair when the vehicle is under 3 years/36,000 miles original manufacturer warranty. It is very important to confirm that the redesigned gas tank is not on your 2006 Ford Mustang before moving forward with any repairs. If it is, there would not be any benefit in replacing the gas tank.