Q: Having a problem refueling

Every time i try to refuel the pump shuts off every 15 cents or so, sometimes i even have gas running out of the filler neck. What could be causing this??

A: The cause of this is the vent to your fuel ...

The cause of this is the vent to your fuel tank is plugged. In order for fuel to enter the tank, air must be moved out or pressure builds in the tank indicating to the fuel pump the tank is full. If the pump didn’t shut off, it would over flow out the fill neck where you insert the fuel nozzle.

Your Trailblazer has what is called a fuel limiter vent valve and a few other valves involved in this system. These components are part of what is called the evaporative emissions system. If any of these components aren’t working, I would expect to see a Check Engine Light on with a EVAP system code. Aside from that, you should be looking for a pinched hose or perhaps you have been off roading recently or had an accident.

I recommend the following service

I’d recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you diagnose the vent system and figure out what failed.

Let the mechanic know specifically what is happening with your vehicle and keep in mind, this is going to be an evaporative emissions diagnosis. There are hoses and pipes that run from your fuel tank to the motor at the front of your car. Access to these components is often difficult and will take time.

Hopefully it is something simple like a obviously damaged hose from off roading or something like that.

Good luck!