Q: Antifreeze leaked into transmission fluid

asked by on February 04, 2016

I have a possible leak in my car. It looks like antifreeze is in the transmission fluid.

The radiator on your vehicle houses a chamber to cool engine coolant, and another chamber to cool transmission oil. There aren’t many points where coolant can come into contact with transmission oil other than at the radiator. An internal rupture at the radiator can cause these fluids to mix and make a thick strawberry milkshake-like solution. The leak being internal brings the vehicle’s heater core into question.

The issue may also stem from too much water in the transmission oil, in which case, the entire unit may need to be rebuilt or replaced.

I suggest having a mechanic, like the ones at YourMechanic, run a thorough inspection of the engine and transmission cooling systems.