Q: Guages not working

In addition to needing a new battery, my odometer and speedometer are not working. I am thinking it might be the gears, but I am not sure.

A: Hi. It sounds like you may be onto somethin...

Hi. It sounds like you may be onto something. When the gears on the speedometer cable wear out, it is unable to calculate the vehicle speed and display it on the instrument cluster. In rare cases, the cluster itself will be at fault, not the speedometer cable. To verify which component is faulty, I suggest having a technician, like the ones YourMechanic offers, inspect the speedometer and inspect the electrical components on your vehicle. The odometer is speedometer driven. Once we get your speedometer working the odometer should resume working as well.