Q: Grinding/rubbing sound in rear drum break, replaced assembly inside and lathes drum, sound continues and louder as speed increases

asked by on August 12, 2017

When I drive the car I hear a sound from the rear drum as if it's grinding/rubbing/scraping I have replaced the assembly inside the drum, lathes the drum, pads are at fine. It sounds as it the drum is making contact with something through rotation. It sounds similar to a person holding something in a fan blade and increases the faster you go, louder the faster you go.

The noise may not be coming from the brakes at all and is coming from the rear hub bearings. Try to remove rear calipers and rotor and turn hub to see if you feel any binding. If you do then replace hub and bearings.