Q: Above 40mph, steering wheel shakes. Rear brakes replaced 10k miles ago, front serviced at the time. Do I need new brakes or rotors?

Above 40mph, steering wheel shakes. Rear brakes replaced 10k miles ago, front serviced at the time. Do I need new brakes or rotors?

Hi, thanks for writing in. Brakes will usually cause a vibration at any speed that they are applied. If the rotors, or drums, are warped bad enough, they will cause the vibration at all speeds. I would lean more toward the cause being tires. You make have a tire that has broken a cord, or even a wheel that has lost a wheel weight. Also, check the tire pressures and look at the tread on the tires to see if there are any telltale signs of them wearing funny. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

3. Above 40mph, steering wheel shakes. Rear brakes replaced 10k miles ago, front serviced at the time. Do I need new brakes or rotors?