Q: Engine won't start while hot after replacing head gasket.

asked by on December 09, 2016

2.8L TBI 4x4

Just replaced the head gasket.

While reassembling engine it started without most of the vacuum components attached to allow tightening of valves. Tightened rocker arms to the point they stopped tapping and then 1/2 turn. Car was idling OK at this time.

Valve covers placed on car.

4 Vacuum hoses go to the back of the carburetor.

1 labelled ACC 1 From the EGR Control Solenoid Valve 1 PCV Valve 1 Purge/TVS Valve

With all vacuum hoses in place the car dies after warming up.

If I UNPLUG the EGR Control Solenoid Valve vacuum the car runs at idle but bogs down real easily. Will start up any time though.

Once EGR Control Solenoid Valve vacuum the engine will not start until cold again.

Attempted to get Error code but shorting A-B Terminal.

Get code 12 and no additional codes.

Replaced EGR Valve/Control Valve solenoid

Sometimes if a different Vacuum line is unplugged the car may run when warm as well, not sure if just specific to the one vacuum line.

No brakes as well

Hi there. The code 12 is for your distributor has no reference. When the engine gets hot, the secondary circuit on the ignition coil gets hot and will not work. I recommend replacing the ignition control module and then recheck. If the symptom continues, then you will need to change the ignition coil. As for the brakes not working, check the master cylinder for the fluid and make sure that its full. Look for any signs of brake fluid leaks. If the fluid is full, the pedal is firm, and there are no leaks, then the brakes may need to be replaced with new rotors and new drums. If you need further assistance with the distributor and the brakes on your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.