Q: Going through too many batteries

asked by on October 30, 2015

I have a 2012 Honda CR-V that has been going through batteries at an alarming rate. Every time I put a new one in, it dies within a few weeks and can’t be made to hold a charge. This is a totally unacceptable problem to have in a vehicle that only has 20,000 miles on it! I have gone through 4 batteries and enough is enough. What is the problem and how can I prevent more batteries from biting the dust?

If you have replaced your battery four times since 2012 then you are having an issue with your charging system that should be diagnosed. There are a few Technical Service Bulletins(TSB) that could address your issue. The first two are TSB 12-041 or 14-071 both dated 11-8-2014. These TSB’s pertains to the computer not setting the correct charging rate for the battery and requires the computer be reprogrammed with a functional battery present. The next TSB 12-002 dated 2-27-2013 pertains to testing and replacing of alternator due to under/over charging loads. The alternator is controlled by the computer and the first TSB should be completed before the alternator is tested. The last TSB A11090M dated 9-1-2011 is for a possible A/C relay staying engaged after engine is shut off, causing it to drain the battery. The battery draw would damage and shorten the battery life. In order to narrow down your problem have YourMechanic diagnose your charging system and advise on repairs needed to correct your problem.