Q: Getting squeaking sound from engine.

I am getting a squeaking sound from engine from the front right side of the car. This is present even if the car is running.

Hi there. This problem comes up often on this engine. The most common source of this noise is within the timing belt system. Most of the time, this noise occurs when one of the idler pulleys is failing, the timing belt is worn-out, or there is a tensioner issue. What I typically do to isolate this, is remove the engine drive belt, and start the engine. If the noise goes away, then the noise could be in one of the engine accessories. From here, I would remove the timing cover to see if I can pinpoint the noise.

Almost every time I have come across this issue, I have replaced the timing belt with a new timing kit, which includes new pulleys, a new belt, a new tensioner, and a new water pump. If you are looking to have this diagnosed and fixed, consider using YourMechanic, and have a certified mechanic come to your home or office to diagnose the cause of the noise, and recommend the best path to repair.