Q: ABS and BRAKE light both on

The ABS and BRAKE light have been on since the weather got hot but now that iot is getting cooler, both lights rarely come on. Looks like the problem is temperature related. Looks to me as though it is the ABS Control Module with a cold solder joint!!

A: This issue is very common and is typically ...

This issue is very common and is typically related to a worn out ABS Speed Sensor. The function of the speed sensor is to monitor the way the tires rotate, and make sure that the ABS system is triggered if there is any difference or slippage between the wheels. If the sensor detects a difference, it sends a message to the controller, telling it to engage the ABS, overriding your manual braking. While the weather is cooling down, it might be a good idea to have a professional from YourMechanic inspect your vehicle, so the component doesn’t fail entirely; which could create an unsafe driving situation. If a replacement is needed, YourMechanic is able to come to your home or place of business to replace the sensor the sensor.