Q: Filling up at the gas station.

asked by on March 11, 2017

Everytime i go to the gas station, i have problems. Usually about every three dollars in, the pump clicks like the tank is full which it is not. Once it stops, I'll start squeezing again and it constantly keeps clicking off over and over again. It will stop after ten times and let me go another three dollars, then starts right over again. It took ten minutes tonight for me to pump $20 in gas. Any advice on what it might be? I took the car to autozone awhile back to run codes for the C.E.L. and it came back a major exhaust leak. I just assumed it was because both of my mufflers have holes in them. I havent fixed the holes because i think it gives it a more agressive idle growl and it has grown on me. The holes have been there about two years but the gas pump problem has only been around for maybe three months. Please let me know anything you think it may be. Thank you!

Fuel Filler Neck Replacement $110.87 - $1589.72 Get a Quote

The issue is the purge vent hose on the fuel filler neck is either leaking or it is plugged up causing the fuel system to vapor lock making the fuel not flow into the fuel tank properly. Check the hose to the fuel tank for any leaks and if there is a kink in the hose or and damages to it. You may have to remove the rubber hose to snake the line as it can get build up in it over time. If you need further assistance with the fuel taking too long to get into the fuel tank, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.