Q: What could be cause of coolant leak after replacing cap and low fan relay? 2012 Chevrolet Cruze

asked by on October 13, 2016

After installing new low fan relay and coolant recovery reservoir tank cap coolant is noticeably present on ground. High fan relay works fine w/ac at high level. Let engine run at idle for about 15 min with no fan issues. Should car be driven for extended period to road test?

Coolant is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Water Pump Replacement $171.86 - $1147.02 Get a Quote

Coolant leaks can originate from a few different places. A pressure check of the cooling system can be performed, subjecting the entire system to higher-than-normal pressures under controlled circumstances to find weak points. Leaks could be coming from hoses, hose clamps, the water pump, the thermostat or a water temperature sensor or port. It’s worth mentioning that Chevrolet has issued a service bulletin on the Cruze, regarding a persistent leak problem around the water pump weep hole. You can slide a sheet of cardboard under the engine overnight to ascertain where exactly the leak is coming from. You may want to schedule an appointment with your dealer to follow up on that service bulletin.