Q: My transmission has only second gear.

I have a 1999 altima that i recently purchased and today i was in reverse and the car took off and jerked so i stopped and when i went forward in 2nd cause 1st is gone i wasnt able to change gears. With my car only having 2nd gear and no reverse what do you think the problem is? Have checked transmission fluid and all other fluids. Please tell me this isnt serious.

Hi there. Either the transmission has multiple bent shifter forks on the top of the transmission or the transmission counter shaft has many broken teeth keeping the second gear only the active gear. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission issue.

3. My transmission has only second gear.