Q: Gear won't shift of out of park when I start the car

asked by on May 20, 2016

I can push the button on the shift, but the gear won't shift out of Park, even if I press hard on pedal and there are no warning lights. It happens when the RPMs start up around 2000, which my friend told me is too high when in Park. When I put my foot on the brake, the rpm will slowly come down some, but take several minutes. Then when they come down - then I can shift into gear. Since it only occasionally happens, I can't get it to occur for the dealership. What is the problem?!!

The idle speed is way too high at 2000 RPM. The first thing to correct is the shifting issue, followed by the engine speed. The throttle could be gummed up and the throttle plate could be sticking open, causing the the engine to idle high. Another thing to look at is the idle air control valve. It could be gummed up and sluggish. If it is sticking open, then the idle speed would be affected. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and expertise to diagnose and inspect why your engine idle speed is high.