Q: Gear shifter flopping around.

I changed the battery and air filter, and applied WD-40 to the shift linkage. Now, the car won't go into gear and the shifter just flops around.

The shifter linkage on these vehicles are known to have shift cable connector ends that brake and fall off of the linkage ball on the shifter mechanism. The fix is to replace the end lock or the cable assembly on some models. I would recommend having a mechanic check the cable to see i just the end clip can be installed or the whole cable has to be replaced. This should fix your floppy shifter. I recommend to have a qualified mechanic check it out such as one from YourMechanic.