Q: Gear shift lever locked up

My car gear shift lever is locked up and won't move into drive.

Hello. I assume that it is stuck in the Park position. There is an electric solenoid that is actuated by the stop lamp switch to let it shift out of Park. With that said, I suggest having someone stand at the rear of the car while the brakes are applied, to see if the stop lamps come on. If they don’t, check the fuses to see if there is one for the stop lamps, or stop lamp switch. If the stop lights do come on, check the fuses and see if there is one for the shifter or shift interlock. Before replacing any components, the vehicle should be checked for codes. The electrical circuit or the shift interlock should be tested. If power and ground to the solenoid is good, the solenoid or shifter will have to be replaced. It would be a good idea to hire a mechanic well-versed in automotive electrical systems to inspect and diagnose your shifting issue.

3. Gear shift lever locked up