Q: Gas pedal hard to apply, can't go past 55 mph

My car starts right up and idles well. The problem I've been having lately with it, is that the car doesn't seem to have enough power while running. It accelerates hard and cannot run past 55 mph. It is as if I drive with the brakes applied, as if it doesn't get enough fuel. The car is revving rather slowly and when I apply the gas pedal, it is hard to press. Eventually, the car picks up speed and runs well with no misfiring or shaking, but only to a certain speed. What might be causing this?

A: Hello. It sounds like the transmission isn’...

Hello. It sounds like the transmission isn’t shifting gears properly. A problem with the first, second, and/or third gear can cause difficulty with acceleration. Another possibility is that the catalytic converters are clogged causing poor acceleration. When this happens it may be difficult for the car to go over a certain speed. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, complete an inspection of the acceleration problem to determine what fixes will help.