Q: Fuse box shorted by clogged pillar drains

Yesterday, my SUV wasn’t able to accelerate over 30 mph and the check engine light came on. I took it to my auto repair shop for a diagnostic and he reported that the fuse box had been shorted by the drains in the pillars that were clogged. Plus, he said that there was mold and water under the floorboard carpets of the front driver’s side and the passenger sides. The fuse box needed replacement and also the wiring harness needed cleaning. Plus the carpet would need replacing. I had been noticing a fishy smell in the SUV. Also, it stalled, after which I went to the dealership for diagnostics there. I found out the my vehicle’s battery was not the correct one for this make/model. So they replaced the battery. It had been the same battery since I had purchased my SUV used. Is there anything else that should be considered that would be related to all of these problems and replacements?

A: Hello. I believe that clogged drains may be...

Hello. I believe that clogged drains may be causing the problems you are experiencing with your 2009 Saturn Outlook. If water is getting onto the wiring, this creates corrosion, damage to the wiring, and ultimately cause other electrical components to fail - such as the battery, alternator, fuse box, or PCM. I would also have your charging system inspected to make sure your alternator is working properly. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, complete an inspection to pinpoint any leaks or make any other repairs that may be needed.