Q: Battery keeps getting drained on a 1990 Mazda Miata

asked by on June 07, 2016

I have a 1990 Mazda Miata Convertible 16-valve engine. Regardless of the battery being brand new and fully charged, the car drains the battery after 10-20 minutes of driving. When I turn on the lights the car dies. Please help.

The first thing you’d want to do is have your alternator checked. It could be that the alternator is not charging the battery. It sounds pretty typical to me. If it’s not that, you have a really bad wiring harness that is shorted out. But generally on those, it’s the alternator going out. Maybe give the YourMechanic guys a call. If needed, they can replace your alternator for you so that you can get your car back on the road.