Q: Fuel pump shuts off and solution can't be found

I have been struggling to figure out what is wrong with the fuel pump in my non-turbo car. On a cold-start, when I turn the key it will work, but after that the pump shuts off. I have checked the air flow meter, fuel pump relay #1 and #2, alternator output, oil pressure sensor. All of those are good, but the fuel pump still will not stay on. When I ran a hot wire from the battery to the fuel pump and bypassed everything, the pump did stay on and the car ran. Can you please tell me what is wrong with my car and what I can do to fix it?

Hi there, thank you for asking about your 1983 Nissan 280ZX. You should replace the fuel pump relay. Make sure to hook up your multimeter to check for the voltage reading while you are trying to start the car and the fuel pump circuit should be live. Checking voltage without a load may show continuity, but not the ability to pass current. If you want to have this checked by a certified mechanic, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to replace your fuel pump relay.