Q: My Smart Fortwo has a misfire on cylinder 2. The spark plugs are oily and besides that the clutch actuator needs to be replaced

asked by on July 18, 2017

Less than a year ago I took my car to the Mercedes Benz dealer for the clutch actuator to be replaced. I paid over $1000 and it worked perfect. Now it failed again. It needs to be replaced and it also shows a misfire on cylinder 2. It has oily spark plugs and at 78000 I heard this is a premature problem. I've been told that because of the kind of car I have, I would be better off getting a new one. I supposed the MB dealership will give me warranty on the job they did but I heard to fix the problem with th cylinder will be be very expensive, probably more than what the car is currently worth. Is this true? If it's worthy of fixing, how long could it last?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The issues will need to be evaluated before we can determine what the best plan of action would be. At this point, we cannot determine how long the repairs will last, or if they are worth it. You are completely correct in your thought processes. At a certain point, some repairs are not worth your time and effort. To truly get an idea about where you stand in this particular situation, you need numbers. Obtain a quote that includes any warranty work, the repair for the oil leak (which could be a piston ring issue, valve seal issue, or a spark plug tube issue), and compare it to the value of the car. Ask how long the repairs are guaranteed for, and take that into consideration as well. For more help with an inspection, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.