Q: Fuel pump problems

Hello,

I m riding 2005 3.2 Touareg with 175k km milage.

i encountered problems like ,

1)An engine that dies after driving a while. After 50-100 km driving, check engine lights appears on.Then about 150-200 km drive the engine dies,car is not accelarates as normaly, sudden slow down,not reacting gas pedal about 5 sec,the suddenly accelarates about a few second.then again slowing down.. 2)A whine noise from in the vehicle after pressing gas pedal even very softly.(it is not engine noise) it is very usual from starting the engine and takes 5-10 min ride,and i guess dissappears after .

My questions are: Is these syptoms relate to fuel pump,is yes it is repairable? or i should change the pumps.

Thhanks in advance

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle may be suffering from several issues simultaneously. The first thing to do is scan the vehicle for diagnostic codes to find out why the check engine light is coming on. This is going to be the best way to get a start on the diagnostic process. Scanning can be done by a technician or at your local automotive parts store. The fuel pump can absolutely cause a whining noise. It may be due to external or internal damages, an injector issue, a pressure problem, or even the debris that can build up in the tank entering the pump. Either way, the pump will need to be removed and evaluated. At that point its often easier and more reassuring to simply replace the pump. For more help with resolving these issues, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Fuel pump problems