Q: The belt came off the pulleys

The belt came off of the pulleys and the Check Engine light came on.

A: One of the first things that should be chec...

One of the first things that should be checked when dealing with a serpentine belt that has come off would be to check that all of the pulleys that are used for power steering, water pump, idler pulleys, alternator, crankshaft, tensioner are all free moving or operational. If one or multiple are frozen or sticking it can cause excessive friction burning through the belt causing it to break off. Or if one of the bearings have failed the belt could walk it self off. This failure of the serpentine belt can cause multiple lights in the dash to turn on including the Check Engine Light to illuminate. The first plan of action would be to get a qualified technician to properly inspect the vehicle, and repair or replace your serpentine belt as necessary.