Q: My car is getting stuck in reverse and making an awful sound when I turn what could be wrong?

The car is driveable, but it keeps getting stuck in reverse ever so often and it makes an awful noise when I turn either direction.

Transmission Fluid Service $125.08 - $440.73 Get a Quote

What you are describing is often a sign of low transmission fluid or a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This type of problem is amplified any time the transmission is low on fluid creating a drop in hydraulic pressure.

The sound related to turning may be related to many different things depending on the type of sound you are hearing. If it is a clicking or thumping sound, this may be related to a bad CV axle. If it is more of a squealing noise or howling noise, this may be related to a bad power steering pump or belt. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.