Q: With normal driving, upkeep, and storage, how long will new tires last before showing dry rot?

asked by on July 10, 2017

Purchased new replacement Michelin tires three years and four months ago. Had a flat and mechanic said tires were showing signs of dry rot. How long should new tires last under average driving conditions, up to date maintenance re air pressure and rotation and normal storage in a garage? Winters are mild.

The longevity of your tires depends largely on driving conditions, mileage driven regularly, weather, tire pressure, wheel alignment and the type of tire compound. Three years is an average amount of time depending on the mileage covered in those three years, which is a more important factor than the number of years as the mileage is always a better indicator of the wear on the tires.