Q: Q: Fuel gauge is not accurate, what can I do?

While it’s not a safety issue or something that could cause an accident, I am still concerned that the fuel gauge in my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe is non-operational. This is a fairly new car with only 60,000 miles on it. I never really know when my gas is going to run out! I think I will get this fixed soon, but how can I make sure this exact same thing doesn’t just happen again?

The fuel gauge system on your vehicle is comprised of two sensors in the fuel tank and the gauge on the dash. The system can be tested using a scan tool for codes pertaining to the fuel system. The most likely cause is one or both of the fuel tank sensors malfunctioning. They come in a combined set and have to be calibrated after installation. There is no guarantee the same problem will not happen again, electric components, while not subject to mechanical wear do give out periodically.

3. Q: Fuel gauge is not accurate, what can I do?