Q: Fuel fill inlet

asked by on April 08, 2017

I have a 2010 ford f150 and.. Recently the "check fuel fill inlet" light came on. It does have a capless system.. I took it by my local mechanic and he cleared the message. Well, it came back on today along with my check engine light. Is this a serious problem?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi...thank you for your question and I will try to help you with the issue. ALL faults that cause the check engine light to illuminate have to be resolved, with the light ultimately extinguished, because once the check engine light illuminates, even if the initial fault is "not serious", all NEW instances of faults, including the very serious ones, in effect become invisible. That is, the light is ALREADY essentially permanently on (due to the "first" fault) and so ALL new codes that are generated due to faults go unnoticed, even as they accumulate. You also have the slippery slope dimension to this sort of problem which is at what point do you decide not to maintain a vehicle and solve known reported problems. In your circumstance the fact that the check engine light is now on, and not just the "inlet warning light", means there will be a code, possibly relating to the EVAP system, the diagnosis and repair of which will probably resolve this for you. A possibility is you might have a very small leak in the EVAP system and/or a leaky valve or control in the EVAP system. To resolve this, please request a check engine light diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.