Q: Check engine light came on, diagnostic was done and came up with codes saying pressure control solenoid 2,3, & 5 are shut off.

First car failed to up shift into a higher gear getting on highway. Then check engine light came on immediately after. So I continued to drive at around 30mph just to make it home (after getting off highway of course). Then car began to shift at an even slower speed of no more than 25mph. Made it home, transmission fluid was either low or none at all. Car was going only in drive and not reverse. Now if car gets to operating level it just wont go at all. I put tranny fluid in but it may need changed. Diagnostic codes read transaxle malfunction & pressure control solenoid 2,3,&5 shut off. What does it mean if the solenoids are shut off? Also, how can this problem be fixed, by getting the transmission seviced and filter changed with new fluid? By the way the car doesnt drive at all just revs up, starts perfectly fine every time.Help please!

A: Low transmission fluid is a major cause of ...

Low transmission fluid is a major cause of transmission failures. Your pressure control solenoids turned off to try to prevent damage to transmission components like clutches etc. Unfortunately, the damage is done and changing the fluid will not help, and most shops will not do a fluid exchange on your transmission with so many miles. You will need to have your transmission tested by a certified mechanic. More than likely, you will need to have your transmission rebuilt.

If you'd like a second opinion on this, get your car inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic. They will be able to help you diagnose your Check Engine Light further. Best of luck.